Tech Feature Friday: What is Polar Fleece, and How Does it Keep You Warm?
BUFF® Staff / 3-7-2014Polar Fleece (usually, simply referred to as "fleece") is a synthetic fabric, originally created to mimic the properties of Wool, while offering many other great features that make it ideal for technical outdoor clothing:
- Highly Breathable
- Soft to the Touch
- Less expensive than Wool
- Easy Care (machine washable)
- Available in different weights for a wide range of temperature & insulation needs
- Hydrophobic (holds less than 1% of its weight in water)
- Retains insulating powers, even when wet
- Quick Dry
- Great alternative for those allergic to Wool
- Vegan alternative to Wool
How Does It Keep You Warm?
Polar Fleece creates a comfortable layer of insulation by trapping air in the pockets between its fibers (see diagram above). This helps to warm air, created by your natural body heat, next to your body. Polar Fleece is perfect for skiing, snowboarding, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, hunting, or any other active cold-weather endeavor. When it comes to extreme cold or wind while snowmobiling, sledding, motorcycling, or fishing it's a comfortable layer you'll be glaf you have.