Beat the Heat! By Gina Lucrezi
BUFF® Staff / 8-9-2016
It’s ironic how we love to play in the harshest of conditions, and thankfully, there are some secrets of how we can pull it off safely! Here are some tips and key points to remember when headed out on your runs to keep you cool and comfortable.
- Let’s start with the most obvious answer: run in the morning or the evening!
- Wear breathable light colored clothing. If you’re going to be running in the mid-day sun during your lunch break, opt for the color white vs. black. Though light colors tend to show the most dirt, it will be the last thing on your mind since you’ll be running on cloud 9.
- Hydrate! It doesn’t matter how long or short your run is, carry a handheld water bottle or a hydration vest. Sure, you might only be going for a 4 mile trail run, but what if you twist your ankle at the 2 mile turn around point and are forced to walk/hobble home. Your 40 minute run just turned into 2 hours…and you are going to wish you had some water.
- Electrolytes! These little miracle workers help your body to stay in one piece when it wants to break down. Electrolytes will help to balance your sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium levels (depending on the type of electrolyte pill or drink you are consuming). When training in the heat you are likely to sweat more than normal, thus loosing more electrolytes. Staying on top of this will help prevent cramps, bonking, and general dehydration. Note: Be sure to take with water.
- Wear BUFF® gear! A Buff is honestly one of the most useful items I’ve ever owned. It is crazy versatile for the heat (and the cold), let alone its many other uses. BUFF® makes a UV product that shields you from the sun’s harmful rays. It is great for protecting you skin and hair. A favorite use of mine, is to wrap a UV Half BUFF® around my wrist and stuff with an ice cube. Keeping your blood cool will keep your internal organs cool…which will make you much happier on your run. Also, don’t forget to dip your Buff in any streams or rivers you may pass. I submerge my Buff in the cool water and then ring it out over my head and neck. Works like a charm!
RECENT BLOG POSTS
BUFF® Staff / 3-18-2019
BUFF® Ambassador Ott DeFoe Wins the 2019 Bassmaster Classic
We’re excited that Ott has chosen BUFF® to keep him protected out on the water and to help play a part in his success but above all else is to watch his longtime goal be achieved.READ MORE
View All Posts